8.6.08

Calgon, Take Me Away!

Does anyone remember the old commercial for Calgon, the bubble bath? It shows a housewife, bedraggled, with some new catastrophe occurring at the moment. She looks at the camera in exasperation and says, "Calgon, take me away!" The screen cuts away to show her somehow whisked away to the bubbly, candle lit gigantic jacuzzi bath that we all have (Tina) where she is relaxing, smiling, lovely. I feel like my life has been one long Calgon moment for the past couple of weeks. Moving is stressful, but it's a good stress. It's exciting. It's all of the other stuff that came with it that I wasn't expecting. WHY is my family always sick? It makes me feel like a bad nurturer. Let's start with the night of my last blog entry, Thursday. Jay was gone all day and all night (until midnight) for work. Jayson was still getting over his whatever he had. I hadn't gotten any packing done and I had random people showing up at my doorstep all hours. I stupidly waited for Jay to get home before going to bed. The next day Jay promised to be home early and I began to make a list of all of the helpful things he would do. That afternoon, as promised, Jay came home...looking positively awful! He thought that maybe he was just tired and decided to have a little nap before tackling the list. Skip to Sunday evening. Jay is still sick. Church is hard as a single parent. I don't plan on making it a habit. Jayson wanted to play outside but it was too cold in the shade and too hot in the sun. He needed a jacket but it was so bunchy! He wanted noodles for dinner, not pasta. Actually, he wanted Cheerios. But where did the noodles go? In the garbage!?(because Mom burned them while she was changing Aidan) But Jayson NEEDED noodles for dinner!!! Aidan fell off the bed and we both cried. I just now realized that not only did I throw the noodles in the garbage but I also threw away the bowl that they were in as well. If I remember, I'll be fishing that out when I'm done with this, and the dishes, and nursing my feverish, pathetically ill husband (okay, I'm not much of a nurse, but I try hard not to resent him). Somewhere in all of this, I looked at the camera of my life and said, "Calgon, take me away!" What happened? Nothing. Not a thing. Except that I had a good laugh at my clever self. I imagined my life at that moment as a commercial for bubble bath and knew it would be very amusing and relatable to the other housewives watching. I thought of the many funny things that could have made it in the cut...how I wore my dress unbuttoned to church today because I nursed Aidan right before we left and forgot to do it up in the rush, how I ate some lunch and got half of it stuck in Aidan's hair and didn't notice until (much) later, how Jayson picked his nose in Sacrament today and ate it and when I gave him a look he took it out of his mouth and flicked it, how yesterday at Wal Mart Jayson bounced a ball and tripped a man with it (he later apologized to Thomas the Train who's image was on the ball), and how I ate an entire bag of chocolate covered cherries that Jay bought because they're his favorites, but then he felt too sick to eat them. The list goes on and on. I know that if I can just see the humor in all of this it will one day get easier, or at least different. I absolutely know that my family is worth it, I just hope that I can take it all in stride and still help my children grow up knowing how special they are. And who needs Calgon when I have prayer and a blog?

1 comment:

Bethany C. said...

I can definitely relate! Hang in there, and keep up those prayers! The blog is awesome. Please let us help you out any way we can before you leave us -- babysitting, packing, getting boxes, priesthood blessings for your poor sickies!

xoxox
Bethany

Shred Violinist on NY subway

Prep for Cross Country

Captain Jayson's Rocket Launch

Dutch Wonderful Rollercoaster!

The perfect vent for Aidan...

Rocket Experiment :(

I can't wait for Aidan to learn the Haka in New Zealand. Hopefully it will prove to be an effective way for him to release aggression, and he can stop throwing balls at my head.

feel like dancing?

Charlie's laugh

Jayson at Swim Camp

Swimming at the Beach

Swimming at the Beach

Charlie is multi-faceted.

Charlie, do you have something in your nose???

Happy Birthday Astronaut Jayson!

Da Bonk.

Happy Birthday Aidan!

Interview with a four year old...

Nadia CRACKS ME UP!!!

Watch this!

Our First Road Trip as a Family of Five!

Easter Message

Happy Birthday Aidan!

Aidan Learns to Walk

Jayson's usual eating antics

Aidan's Tickle Torture

Aidan Picks Up

Boo! It's Halloween!

Jayson's First Day of Pre-School!

Jayson the Pirate

Aidy the Inchworm

Jayson singing "The World is So Big"

In case you have trouble understanding...

The world is so big and oh, so round
And even God's creations are almost so found.
Brothers and sisters and trees so tall,
animals big and animals small.
The world is so big and oh, so round
And even God's creations are almost so found...
etc, etc.

The correct words are:
The world is so big and oh, so round
And in it God's creations are found.
Mountains and valleys and trees so tall,
Animals big and animals small.
The world is so big and oh, so round
God loves us all, His blessings abound

Pictures of Our New Apartment!

Jayson's Top10

  • The Beach (any pile of sand qualifies)
  • Daddy ("Daddy's just my favorite")
  • Singing (even during sacrament meeting we cannot squelch his humming!)
  • Dumbo, his everpresent Elephant
  • Robinhood (as in the Prince of Thieves. "Mommy, my name is Robinhoodin, not Jayson.")
  • Swinging, sliding, climbing, jumping at the park
  • Marshmallows
  • All guys, boys, men, grandpas, uncles, etc.
  • Doritos (spicy red chips)
  • the color yellow

Aidan's Top 10

  • Mommy
  • Babbling
  • Drooling
  • Wiggling
  • Watching the dog
  • Watching his brother
  • Sucking on anything that comes within close proximity to his mouth
  • Sucking on his two middle fingers
  • Breastfeeding
  • Eating

A Photographer in the Making

Jayson loves taking pictures! He took most of these while we were on vacation in Washington and a few at home. I love that he takes pictures of himself. He then asks me to show them to him and he giggles a little when he sees what terrific shots he's gotten.

us

us
Merry Christmas!

a

a
.


blip, bleep. I. am. a. robot. lover.

Aidan carries his tiger in his mouth so he can have both hands free

Our little beekeeper

Is it a fork or a magic wand?

Big Carseat! Happiness!











At good ol' GW's house (Mt Vernon)


Brothers

Trying out the new running shoes.

Murphy tickles Aidan with his whiskers

Jayson being tortured by his swim teacher

Scary! Look at my sun damage since we got here!

Help Me!

Our Little Smarty

Monkey on a tightrope

Jayson's best pirate face(yes, he always closes his eyes.)

"How does that music fit in that tiny box?"

Bryant, Angela, Zoey, Mia, and Brodi on the 4th of July

Making a fast getaway

Jayson's "trampoline"

Mom and Jays

Aidan kept trying to eat his mask!He'll eat anything!

First 4th of July!

Checking out the competition





My guys on the Metro

"Oh Daddy, I love food!"

Jayson's just cute!

We know where we'll be this summer!

Aidan after a hard day at the pool

Aidan bumped his lip...he first "owie"

Jayson and his bud, Lex have matching bikes!

the bike: "Rock it" Awesome!

My Man...He be Lookin' Fine!

Jayson loves Aidan

j

j

a

a